Emily told you of her families favourite Christmas books to read yesterday. So today I will tell you about the great books we love to read at Christmas time.
Reading has become a big part of our family since Princess B has started school, we read every night. Now she is learning her sight words and she is trying hard to read the words that are familiar to her and doing a great job!!!
Our first 5 fave Christmas Themed books are:
1. A Porcupine in a Pine Tree: A Canadian 12 Days of Christmas by Helene Becker- a definite addition to you Christmas reading, a wonderful celebration of Canada! I usually end up singing the story and the kids laugh at me while we do.
2. Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore- always a favourite for me from when I was little and now passing it on to my kids.
3. It's Christmas David! by David Shannon- a fun story about being patient when the presents are under the tree or else you don't get any... a belief for me that coal would be the end result.
4. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer by Rick Bunsen- who doesn't love the story of the little guy at Christmas!!
5. Olive the Other Reindeer by Vivian Walsh- a dog includes herself in Christmas because she is "Olive the other Reindeer" from the famous song.
and our BONUS story is our pledge to our Elf on the Shelf by Carol V. Aebersold, and our elf, Little Gene...we read his tale and the prinicle behind his visit every year. Oh and my kids also think that the security cameras in the mall belong to Santa, as well as the video monitor cameras we have in their bedroom, because he is everywhere right!
(It was something my hubby said one day before Christmas when the kids were just overflowing with excitement and not on their best behaviour... seems to work a little bit all year round when on of the kids see one on a trip to the store).
Here is wishes that you start a reading tradition at holiday time in your family to make the season that much more memorable!!! Another way you could bring reading into your family is instead of the store bought Advent calendars how about a story related advent centred around the holiday where every day your kids open a new book with a holiday theme...it's on my list of things to do with our family this year!!!
Hope you will atleast check out one of our books and share it with your child this holiday!